View through my window

September 26, 2006

Listening

Wooo, why do I keep posting about depression? I haven't counted, but a quick flip down my previous posts shows that there's loads. Sorry about that. I wouldn't want you to think that I am obsessed with it - I'm feeling fine at the moment, anyway. Thanks for asking. It just seems like an interesting subject to blog about, at the time. With hindsight, this is probably not actually true, is it? A bit like golfers going on about the really good shot that found the really bad lie. Or, in poker parlance, nobody likes a bad beat story. Sorry. I'll try and shush about it.

I'm in a quandary regarding my radio listening at the moment.* I may have mentioned, just the once, that I'm forty now (why isn't that spelt fourty? Always annoyed me, that has. Still, we could be french and call ninety nine four twenties nineteen. That would be worse). I've got Radio 1 on at the moment. I am plainly not in the target demographic. I don't mind Chris Moyles, I suppose, though I've just listened to him reckoning the Nile is the longest river in South America. Brain the size of a planet. I find that annoying. Oh, and now they've said that Saturn's rings were discovered in 1979. I haven't googled it up but I'm fairly sure it was, uh, the odd century or four before that. For fuck's sake. I really hope I misheard that. Wasn't it a Mr G Gallilei in sixteen hundred and something?

Anyway, radio choice. I have a severe allergic reaction to local radio. It causes me a choking sensation, and feelings of nausea. Caused by me sticking my own fingers down my throat in desperation. I also have a nasty intolerance of adverts on commercial radio. It causes irrational spasmoidal muscle twitches, resulting in throwing heavy objects at the radio. So that's Virgin out. (Could have contrived a joke there about virgins, but you're too distinguished an audience).

Radio 2 is the obvious choice, I hear you cry. Well, maybe, but, duh, Steve Wright still doing exactly the same stuff as he was doing on Radio 1 in the eighties, and Ken more-effective-than-prozac Bruce. Puh-leeze.

I guess it's time to download some more albums onto iTunes. Or upload them. Oh, whatever you do when you go onto t'internet and find some nice songs that you like and buy them and the little blue line takes a couple of minutes to travel a few inches across the screen and then suddenly the song appears on your playlist and you can make a CD of your very very own with the burn to cd function. See, I'm internet literate, me. Then I can listen to my stuff not their stuff, which is nice.


*Challenge anyone to change the subject more suddenly than that.

10 Comments:

  • How's your garden? She says rising to the changing the subject challenge.

    By Blogger J.J, at 8:52 pm  

  • And have you heard what Radio 2 plays on the weekend??? Brian Matthews for God sake? Do we really want to know which has-been played with who at school in 1958?

    It's at about your age (says she longingly) that I started listening to Classic FM as well. Now I know I'm old!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:53 am  

  • I hate radio stations where the DJ talking thinks he is more interesting than the music he's surely supposed to be playing (otherwise, why is he called a DJ?)

    and I hate stations where a huge proportion of the air time is taken up with adverts

    mind you, because of this I don't really listen to the radio much, but play albums instead, so actually have no idea what I'm talking about. . .

    hmmmmmmmm

    chutney recipes?

    ever heard of the band Babyshambles unless in a sentence about Kate Moss?

    A Day in the Death of Joe Egg?

    why do the spaces in car parks seem narrower now I am older than when I learnt to drive?

    why are robin's breast orange, not red?

    should Dorling Kindersly use more or less white space - discuss

    anyone see Skint last night?

    what is up with beta-blogger?

    (oops, over-ran my ten second limit somewhat)

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 5:41 pm  

  • Respectively: a wilderness (no time unfortunately); no - I'm too busy at weekends to listen to the radio much (perhaps 5Live for the sport); haven't heard him but doesn't sound good; no we don't; coming; no; don't understand; because you've got a bigger car; it's a conspiracy created by Christmas card manufacturers; less - haven't time for a discussion; I didn't; it's fucked.

    Thanks to you all.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 12:07 pm  

  • You know that eventually all Brits end up listening to Radio 4- why not just bite the bullet and tune in?

    All the music stations are crap anyway. John Peel is dead and with him died any chance of hearing 20 minutes of continuously entertaining music on the radio.

    Hours of political debate, abridged versions of books about the merchant navy in the 19th century, the occaisional charmingly inoffensive comedy show... simply accept your fate: 92-95FM & 198LW.

    Or buy a digital radio and quit yer weesht.

    PS. Classic FM is a pile of wank. This is just what happens when you let 'normal people' ring in and choose music: the fucking Harry Potter theme every other morning.

    By Blogger Levi, at 3:36 pm  

  • re parking spaces

    actually - you're right! I used to drive my brother's second-hand clapped-out old Mini and now I drive a second-hand clapped-out old estate

    (more boot space for all that nonsense three kids acuumulate and you can't quite ever be bothered to clear out, and probably significantly wider)

    thanks for sorting that one!

    (christ, what a classic example of the difference between the male and female brain in relation to all things driving - I thought the spaces were getting smaller, but you knew it was the car getting bigger)

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 12:34 pm  

  • ps if the chutney recipes don't come soon there won't be time for the chutney to have matured before xmas

    assuming you want it ready for xmas, that is

    ho humbug

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 12:35 pm  

  • Levi - you're right, I'm just raging against the dying of the light at the moment.

    I,LTV: you're welcome. And I must get my arse in gear re boiled vegetables in spicy vinegary stuff stored in an airtight jar. Judging by the various gluts they will all be tomato and courgette (marrow) based this year.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 12:06 pm  

  • (re raging: get a light box)

    (re chutney: it's a plum/apple glut here)

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 6:12 pm  

  • DAB.

    gotta be.

    Don't delay, get DAB today.

    By Blogger the Beep, at 10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home