View through my window

April 26, 2006

At last, it's come ....

... my new sofa. Just in time for my birthday. Hoorah. You may remember we ordered it some time ago, and it has finally, finally, arrived. Here you go, have a look:

What do you reckon?

Actually, I don't really care what you reckon, especially if you don't reckon much of it. Because I like it, and that's what matters.

Note the gold wall, too, as promised. It looks a bit pink in daylight, but in the evening with the lights on they reflect off it nicely - it does have a metallic finish, honest, just you can't really tell in this photo - and it comes into its own, making a nice cosy warm glowing feeling - especially with the fire lit.

If you look especially hard, you can see (1) an invitation for my posh cousin's wedding, and (2) an empty yogurt pot (photograph sabotage by Child Two).

Talking of Child Two, she did the flag carring thing for her Beaver (snurk) pack at the St George's Day parade at the weekend. Despite my recent cynicism on the subject and my derision of religion* generally, I was as proud as can be of my little girl. She looked fabulous: smart, keen, attentive, pretty; and she did her job (carrying the flag around the streets at the front of her pack, and then ceremoniously into the church as a sort of honour brigade, and out again) calmly and sensibly and with pride. Child One, as a cub, paraded also with dignity and sense. He's been made a Seconder now (2nd in command of a group of six, called an, uh, Six) and is enjoying the responsibility I think.

However .... the real reason for my enjoyment of the occasion: it did mean that the LOML and I got to go and sit in a coffee shop drinking latte and eating muffins and reading the papers in peace for an hour and a half on a Sunday morning, which under normal circumstances would be absolutely unheard of.

Incidentally, under a 'what is the country coming to?' topic: Child One went to cubs this week and their activity was to play basketball at a local park. There were some teenage boys there, and a brief verbal altercation ensued, culminating in the middle-aged female leader, Akela, being told to "fuck off, bitch". In front of a whole troupe of eight to ten year olds in uniform. With no adult male present. Now, my boy has never lived anywhere other than a small village and is to say the least not very streetwise, so I expected this to upset him. That he remains remarkably phlegmatic about it is tribute to both the Akela's strength and determination (they stayed and played their basketball) and my boy's strength of character.

I wish I had been there to argue with. We'd have seen what they would have said to a full grown man instead, huh. And yes, I know this is both petty posturing and hypocritical I'm-bigger-than-you-ness, but it just makes me so fucking cross. How dare they expose my boy to that?

I may need to go and lie down on my new sofa to calm down.

*I may trademark this phrase so don't nick it. Or, do, and see if I care really.

9 Comments:

  • Ooops, sounds like my little Step-sod has found his way over to your neck of the woods.
    Apologies etc...

    By Blogger the Beep, at 1:03 pm  

  • The problem these days is that if you do stand up to the little bastards theres a good chance you are going to get knifed.

    By Blogger DC, at 7:15 am  

  • Beep: hope not. I'm sure your influence will start to bear fruit soon.

    DCI: *sigh* perhaps I'm being naive to assume that this sort of thing is unacceptable.

    US: perhaps it's best I wasn't there. That would have traumatised the lot of them.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 9:15 am  

  • I just picked up three yogurt pots in my lounge and intend to wring my kids necks when they get back from school...discipline is the answer I have decided.

    And it's high time I introduced some into their lives.

    Great sofa btw.

    By Blogger J.J, at 9:22 am  

  • Oh, DCI, you're being complicated again. Are you cross with me for being naive, or agreeing with me forcefully? I didn't see the second one you removed (I assume it was you) and I can't recall anything controversial in the first one ... it was about your daughter wasn't it? It made me laugh actually.

    Thanks for keeping dropping in anyway. I do appreciate your comments, really. I may not be back on for a couple of days now (work stuff) so apologies if you don't hear from me.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 10:57 am  

  • Nice sofa indeed. BTW cushions are really lovely too.

    By Blogger Holly, at 9:43 am  

  • Thank you. The cushions aren't new. I still like them though.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 12:03 pm  

  • it is indeed a wondrous sofa.

    when's your birthday then? will there be cake? and champagne? ooh, let's have champagne..

    By Blogger surly girl, at 8:08 pm  

  • *shoves CWC onto the floor*

    pardon me mate, but that sofa looks like the perfect place for me to lie down!

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, at 7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home