View through my window

March 28, 2006

Hi

I'm back.

Not that I've actually been anywhere - still sat here, working: worrying, talking on the phone, emailing, drawing, colouring, graphicking, referencing, researching. Listening to the radio. And, uh, surfing the interweb. And playing a bit of poker*. And downloading MP3s.

Work has been a bit thin, to be honest. Not what you want to see when you're a self-employed person. I've spent too much on advertising in the wrong places, which I'm really cross about. Stupid of me. I'm sorting this out - I'm seeing someone tomorrow about advertising in the right places. I'm also swapping some of my design work for some website enhancement work from a client, I hope. That should help.

Everyone else seems to have buggered off as well. Is there some unwritten blog rule that I don't know about that says you can go away during the last week of March? Half my links sidebar aren't there. New York, Dubrovnik, somewhere else unspecified. Or moving house.

I'd like to move house. No, actually, I'd like to build a house and then move to it. (When I say 'build' I obviously mean 'have built by someone else while I stand around with my hands in my pockets wearing a clean hi-viz jacket and a shiny hard hat, and make the decisions. About what doorknobs to have. And stuff like that.').

Unfortunately the village is an absolute no-you-can't-build-a-house, green belt, conservation area, protected, forget it, no chance mate sort of area. Unless you happen to be our neighbours two doors down who have realised their garden is just wide enough to squeeze another house into the row, cos the road turns a little corner. This is 'infill' apparently, and is allowed. Jammy gits. And we really do want to stay in the village.

So, I'll ring Flyhalf Phil (qv) again and see if he's got any wrecks to renovate come in this week. I may even drive about a bit in the up-and-coming areas of the local towns, and see if I can spot anything. Frustrating thing is, a biggish house on the edge of the village came up last year. Needed a lot of work. It went to auction, and went way way waaaaay over my budget - not that I had a budget sorted out at that point. Some people who work in TV bought it. They've obviously got money because they aren't even living in it while they're doing it up.

There's another one at the bottom of the road coming up soon - absolute wreck, same old bloke had been living there for donkey's years. He died recently, bless him. The LOML and Child One managed to scab a quick look round cos she knows the family and they were clearing it out. He hadn't been upstairs in ten years, just lived in the one room downstairs. Beaten earth floor, rotting stairs, a lean-to with an old clotheswashing copper boiler thing. No kitchen, no nothing really. Full of ragged 1950's clothes and mould and damp. It will make an excellent, exciting project.

For someone else. Because it's a black and white beamed cottage with original features, it'll definitely go to auction. And sell for way over my league. Apart from anything else, it's too much work for me to take on - it'll need almost completely taking down and starting again. Bollocks. It's only 200 yards away. How irritating.

Patience, man. Something will come up. Plenty of time. At least I'm safe for the foreseeable future from the worst of all nightmares.

Having to go and get a job.


*I found $3-62 sitting in my account on a site I haven't played at for a long time; I've no idea why. I thought I'd see how far I can get with it. "The $3-62 Experiment", I thought I'd call it. Original. Anyhoo, current balance is $78-75. More than 20 times my start. Good, eh? I rock at poker, me.

7 Comments:

  • DCI: hey, don't worry mate. I paid $200 into a poker website about 8 years ago and it's all I've ever paid in. I've been playing with that money ever since. I'm not obsessed with it. I leave it for weeks, months, at a time sometimes. I've bought a few nice things from my winnings over the years too - a TV, plane tickets, stuff like that. I play for the mental challenge, the entertainment of pitting your wits, not for income.

    I'm really cross that the bull running is going to have to wait until next year now.

    And I got my tom seed this week: I'm trying a mid-size called 'Merlot' and I'll get some Moneymaker as well.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 11:29 pm  

  • I'm so impressed that you can make money playing poker. Pleasure with prizes! Lovely.

    By Blogger mig bardsley, at 11:48 pm  

  • Hi Mig: It's a great game. I make peanuts, really, cos I only play for low money against generally weak players. Top professionals make millions a year. I thought about stepping up and playing semi-pro a while back, but if you need to win to pay your bills it takes all the fun out, makes it a grind. Don't want to lose the fun.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 9:07 am  

  • don't you get spring break in the UK? Maybe that is what is happening. It was the week before last in parts of the States, this week where I live, and only god knows when in Europe.

    I like the way you say 'I'm really cross' when you're mad. My Mom does that. :-)

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, at 7:28 pm  

  • nf:*waves back*. Lovely to see you.

    Kyah: Ah, mmm. Two countries separated by a common language again. If someone over here is mad, they're insane. Come to think of it, I could have said that and it would have made just as much sense.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 8:44 am  

  • I'm back...unfortunately :-(

    And we can't buy a house in our village either. TOO expensive so we have to keep dolling out rent to a super rich (actually third richest man in the country type rich) landlord, cos right now we really don't want to live anywhere else. (Errh, how do people afford to buy houses excactly???)

    By Blogger J.J, at 12:25 pm  

  • Hi Jane. Dubrovnik looks nice. Shit, isn't it? The house thing, I mean. Not Dubrovnik. The one I'm in isn't going to be big enough for much longer. Child Two's bedroom is nice only as long as you don't mind concussing your feline. When she gets a bit bigger we're bollocksed.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 4:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home