View through my window

January 30, 2006

Same old same old

"We trained hard, but it seemed that everytime we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization."

This was written by a chap called Petronius Arbiter in about 210BC. You can file it under "nothing new under the sun". This is precisely why I stopped being a government slave a few years ago. I couldn't stand the thought that even after twenty-two hundred years we still hadn't learned this basic lesson.

I take great pleasure from the fact that it's twenty-five past ten in the morning and no-one can tell me off for writing this instead of earning money.

----------------------------------------

Edit, 14 March 06: rather boringly, one of my favourite quotes appears actually to be not a genuine quote at all. According to this spoilsport there's no record of your man Arbiter having wrote it at all. It may be as old as the first war, but no more than that.

Arse. I still like it. If it wasn't genuine we'd have to make it up anyway, and that's good enough for me.

4 Comments:

  • yeah, fascinating - but did you ask Lee about the maple syrup on the sofa?

    I really don't think you even read these, I think you left the email address box empty

    yeah, I know: same old, same old

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 7:26 pm  

  • Sorry, sorry. I hope latest post (8 Feb) explains about why I'm just such an arse. Lee will no doubt prescribe some 'green goo', as it seems to be his USP. When sofa and said goo arrives, I will find out what't in it and let you know.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 9:55 pm  

  • thank god my temper hadn't ever gotten the better of me and I wasn't caught f*ing and blinding down the never ending black hole that your comment facility seemed to be from this end

    (or maybe it had, I've forgotten, and you haven't moderated those ones. . .) (eeek!)

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 1:18 am  

  • We trained hard......

    Quote actually by

    Charlton Ogden Jr

    So I am told....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home