View through my window

February 16, 2006

Old times

Went back to my birthplace yesterday, to show the kids where Daddy grew up. My school looked small and sad, the swimming pool and the sports centre were both boarded up, all the shops had changed into charity outlets, someone was moving out of my old house, Child Two fell over and cut herself, Child One trod in dogshit.

Their abiding memory will be the play area by the river that wasn't even there when I was a kid. (The play area, not the river. I imagine the river's been there for a while).

They said they enjoyed it. I think they were just trying to be nice.

Look, I think it's 74 days. But I'm still not confident of my maths.

5 Comments:

  • depending on what time you were in the play area, my son and i may have walked past you as we walked the dog along the river before disappearing for his birthday party at his mums.

    I too loathe the precinct and am glad the council is talking about revamping it. And we all have had enough of the charity shops: luckily the council seem to be on to that too.

    I realise (having only been here for 4 mnths) that there is a lot that has been taken by redevelopment etc, but there remains a lot of history here and a lot to see and I am enjoying it here, and hope to move soon....the view of the W St Helens Street car park I have at the moment needs changing!

    By Blogger the Beep, at 11:34 am  

  • http://abingdon2006.blogspot.com/

    can't do links in windows, but cut and paste shoudl do it

    By Blogger the Beep, at 11:40 am  

  • And everyhting looks smaller than you remember too.

    By Blogger David, at 12:10 pm  

  • Beep: I had a look at this blog before. I love the 'I haven't purchased anything in Fat Face yet but I may do soon, because their window display is cheerful'. Genius. It's a lot better than my local market town, trust me.

    The only other person I can remember is a beardy sort of chap in shorts? You? Could have been a graphic designer; had the look. (Sorry. I'm a designer too, I'm allowed).

    Have to confess, I've cheered up a bit now. I'll post later why I was being a bit bleak.

    Greavsie: Everything. Nothing can escape the enlarging of both self and memories.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 12:16 pm  

  • ahem. Shorts? Moi? In Feb? No chance! Beardy is good though.

    Funnily enough i saw the abingdon blog chap taking photos of the guidhall a day or so ago, and then blow me down there's his post today. It's really really really crap, the guildhall. A real cock up of the first order. But, as i said, there's still lots of interesting stuff the planners haven't f****d up (yet).

    By Blogger the Beep, at 2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home