View through my window

December 18, 2006

More new me stuff

Or, return to the old me stuff. Not sure which.

I have a new hairstyle*. This is, I'll agree, not world-shattering. But it is symptomatic of new good-feely me. You will note that I have not put 'haircut', but 'hairstyle'. I went to the new posh hair and beauty place in the village, and had a proper consultation with the FullOfHimself Hairdresser. Nice chap, but you know, uh, a bit, how can I put it, full of himself. Anyhoo, I've had long hair before (looooong hair, like a Pantene model, with boswelox, etc). But this was 20 years ago. I have had short hair (grade 1 short, like Grant and /or, indeed, Phil, Mitchell. Off that there EastEnders. Except all over my head, not just round the sides with just skin on top, like a bald person. Do not get the impression I am bald, because it would be very very incorrect. And I might get Upset. Because I like Not Being Bald).

Over the last few years I've had the standard Grade 2 up the back and sides and bit longer on top thing. With a bit of gel in. Which is just the same as just about every chap had. And the new me is bored of this. So, as I hadn't been for a cut for a while (too busy licking windows), the old hair had got a bit longer. I thought maybe it had potential.

So, the FullOfHimself Hairdresser messed round with it, and we had that slightly weird talking to each other in the mirror conversation: "what about a quiff?", (er, no), "big hair is in at the moment, surf style, you know, like undeconstructed", (ok), "you've got enough length here to do something with now, it's got potential", (thought so).

So, eighteen quid, a free latte, a smidgen of wax, and half an hour later, I have deconstructed choppy, sticky-uppy surf-style hair. I really like it. It makes me look younger. The kids like it, at least once I had drawn their attention to it, as of course they didn't notice at first. The LOML thinks she likes it, it's all just a bit new at the moment. Because of that and the new jumper I went and bought (it's got grey and brown horizontal stripes, and I went and bought it without spousal sartorial advice. This is a bit of a new me change too. And no, it doesn't make me look fat. Despite any actual physical appearance to the contrary. La la laaa I can't hear you. Denial is a river in Egypt).

What's next for the new me, I wonder? Don't know yet, but you'll be the first** people I share it with.



* I wrote 'haristle' first by mistake. An interesting typo. What would a haristle be? Long and detailed, like an epistle? Or short and attention-grabbing, like a whistle?

**Ahh, second. After the LOML. Uh, and my kids. And my mates, probably. But next after that, definitely. Absolutely.

5 Comments:

  • 'haristle' from 'Harissa (paste)' and 'bristle'...hot and spiky. Sounds good :)

    By Blogger mig bardsley, at 10:30 am  

  • hey - you're back!

    and guess what? one year ago today I read your blog and liked it so much that I set up my current blog (the view I liked was the one thru your window, see) so today is my first birthday on I Like The View all thanks to you

    (so thanks)

    it's looking good, Crisis

    hope you're feeling better too (not that you want boring mental health comments, I'm sure)

    *wanders off to read post and see what she was supposed to be commenting on. . .*

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 5:04 pm  

  • oh

    I see. . .

    *thinks*

    I think a haristlye (see, I can't even get the spelling right) is a rather foul and demeaning insult from that river in Egypt

    but that's only because I'm in an incredibly bad mood today

    am going to the hairdressers myself on Thursday, maybe that will cheer me up?

    here's hoping

    (better stop now, have taken up far too much space already)(nothing new there then)

    By Blogger I, Like The View, at 5:09 pm  

  • Honestly, every UK blogger I come across is hilarious! Or stark-raving bonkers. I shouldn't be that surprised, really - British humour always has me in stitches.

    Good on you for going with the sticky-uppy hair rather than the quiff, which is very 50s, don't you think? Not that I was there. Cos I wasn't.

    Good-o. Carry on.

    By Blogger Lippy, at 10:59 am  

  • Hullo Lippy and welcome. The quiff has made a small but unfortunate comeback in the UK. I'm waiting for Teddy boys and milk bars to follow.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 3:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home