View through my window

March 01, 2006

Huh?

I like Davina McCall. I do. I think she's very natural in front of the camera, if a bit giggly, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of Big Brother, you can't deny (a) it's romped into the social consciousness and (b) it needs a presenter with natural shallowness, just like Davina (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way), otherwise it could be taking itself too seriously.

Not sure about her chat show, with it's imaginative title, yet.

Especially as she's just announced "And now one of the sassiest and classiest girl bands around, the Sugababes."

'Sugababes' and 'classy' are two words which it would surely take a labrythine feat of grammatical adroitness to fit correctly into the same sentence. Surely?

4 Comments:

  • damn the sugababes. damn their slight mingingness and catchy tunes.

    By Blogger surly girl, at 10:00 am  

  • I saw that 'Davina' show once. A sorry exhibition. The girl's natural shallowness may have made her a natural for 'Streetmate' (remember that?) or, at a push 'Big Brother' (although I thought she started to look like a rabbit caught in the headlights once that show broke through to become a major national institution)- but if the ITV execs think she has the gravitas to walk into Michael Parkinson's shoes they can think again. Greats like Parky have a quiet but authoritative air, and a gentle humour which allows them to build a rapport with their guests; Davina resorts to inneffectual flirting and lists of prepared questions, which are no subsitute.

    Er, sorry. I didn't realise I had such highly-developed opinions about Davina until I started in there.... just found you via your comment on Johnny B, by the way, and thought I would drop by...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 pm  

  • Surly: I gather the one called Mutya has left. Which is a shame because I used to irritate Child 2 by calling her Muttley.

    Overproduced untalented shite. I wish they'd just fuck off, now.

    Jonathan, welcome. JonnyB's comment page has been a fertile spawning ground for me.

    That didn't sound at all right. Sorry for any lingering mental images.

    Ever notice how few successful female chat show hosts there have been? Another series not being renewed, I fear.

    By Blogger crisiswhatcrisis, at 3:47 pm  

  • Bring back Anthea Turner.All is forgiven.

    Oh hang on, no wait. Scrub that bit about forgiven.Oh yes, and the bit about bringing her back as I have a sudden feeling I saw her recently being snotty about someone else's untidy house. They already HAVE brought her back...the horror!

    By Blogger J.J, at 2:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home